Ballet Talk for Dancers

Oh my gosh!

balletstar811

Mr. Johnson and Ms. Leigh,

I am still in disbelief at the news I have just received. A few moments ago, the phone rang and my mother answered- only to find out that Timothy Draper, the founder and leader and amazing teacher of my studio, passed away! :):( He was in London and on a plane home, and he felt ill... so they did an emergency landing in Ireland, rushed him to the hospital, but it was already too late. He is gone, and this is awful. I am questioning you, however, about your thoughts on what might happen to the studio.... has something like this ever happened? What will happen???

If I were you, I'd wait for confirmation from an impartial source. An occurrence like this is so unusual that it just might make the news, and at least the obituary column in the newspaper. Wait for additional input from local TV news, and/or the Democrat & Chronicle. Who was your mother's informant? If it were the studio, maybe it's credible, if not, I'd consider myself advised, but just regard it as an unconfirmed rumor.

OK, I hit the news, and here it is.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/news/0...0409_news.shtml

Now, I don't know how the School was set up, but I'll bet it's a corporation. If the board of directors of the school and company wish to continue, they'll find a new director, and move right on. My own first teacher died of accidental poisoning when she was younger than he was, so I know it's an awful shock. You have my sincerest condolences. But the school continues on to this day.

balletstar811,

I am so very sorry to hear that terrible news. My heart goes out to you and all of the other dancers at your school. I have never studied with your teacher or even met him but I have heard many wonderful things about him and have seen some of the beautiful dancers to come out of your school. It's an awful loss but keep dancing becuase I am sure that is what he would want for you all to do!!

• Administrators

This is very sad news indeed. I have known Tim Draper for many years, and worked with him as a guest teacher in his SI program. He was a very talented and dedicated man, and was doing very fine work up there in Rochester. This is a great loss to all of his students.