Ballet Talk for Dancers

summer intensive questions....

Guest dance4life87

Guest dance4life87

What kinds of things do you usually do on an audition say for a summer intensive?

Like, do you do all the steps on pointe? or what kinds of things do you do on pointe? (just an idea) Or what kinds of steps do you do in grande allegro? Any answers from anyone would be great... Or if anyone could tell me what kinds of things they did in one of their auditions?

In any school auditions I've ever seen, or taken myself, it's usually an intermediate class, to see who can do everything easily(they are the advanced ones), who can do things, but are challenged somewhat (they place intermediate) and the ones who have difficulties throughout (they place elementary). Pointe is not usually a long drawn-out affair for school auditions. Now, company auditions, that's a whole different kettle of fish!

Guest ballet princess

From what I've seen on audition requirements, pointe is usually done for about a half hour at auditions. I'm guessing that the hardest things on pointe would be turns like pirrouettes and pique turns. For grande allegro, basically grande jetes and big travelling steps.

Hope I helped a little:p I auditioned for Steps on Broadway in NY last year. If you PM me I can tell you all about it!:D

Guest TPMDdancer

All auditions are different. It is basically any normal class, with much more people, of couse, and that means more waiting before and after combinations. I have been to some auditions where you only do about 15 minutes of point, usually a center combination with echapes, and other simple point work, and a few turning combinations. However, some auditions do about a half hour of point, and I've heard that some even have the whole class on point. Just try to stay calm, and have fun! That is what you're there for right?